Friday, February 12, 2010
Before The Enterprise Center came into existence, the building was the home of the original American Bandstand. The local television program was known as Bob Horn’s Bandstand, named after the host at the time, from October 7, 1952 to the year 1957. Later, the new host Dick Clark took over at age 26. The show was picked up by ABC (American Broadcasting Company) and was renamed to American Bandstand. The show first aired nationally on August 5, 1957. The show made it to Hollywood several years after and moved to Los Angeles in 1964.
The building which was located at the 46th block of Market Street was then abandoned. About 25 years after the building was abandoned, it was founded by the Wharton Small Business Development Center. It became known as The Enterprise Center. It housed and provided access to many resources to start a business for minority entrepreneurs.
In 2001, The Enterprise Center founded a neighborhood-based nonprofit organization for the West Philadelphia area. The Enterprise Center Community Development Corporation (TEC-CDC) is just one of the many networks of organizations available to the neighborhood by The Enterprise Center.
Although the building has been completely remodeled from the days of American Bandstand, the studio still exists inside The Enterprise Center. The City of Philadelphia’s Mural Arts Program painted a mural inside the building to keep some of the history alive. The plaques used show the public how much an organization donates to The Enterprise Center has a music theme to them as well. The studio can now be rented out for $300 an hour for events and banquets.
Lauren Gordon and Linda Lam, Group 18, Walnut Hill
Posted by Linda Lam at 8:01 AM